Totora
The people of Peru and Bolivia have had a long history of making boats from Schoenoplectus californicus ssp. tatora, locally called totora. In my opinion totora is Huanchaco’s cultural keystone species. You can find some kind of image of the totora boat everywhere here, including on the buses. I especially love to watch the totora boats out on the ocean early in the morning. For a small fee, one can also be given a short ride on the boats during the day. I have not tried this yet…but maybe before I leave I will attempt it.
6 comments:
karen -
it is so great to hear from you. I have wondered about you often and wondered what you were doing. You look like you are having a blast. Drop me a email sometime. Laney
Very cool! When do you get back?
Looks like you are having a blast. Very cool boats. :) So, you getting random strangers looking at your blog as well? don't see any comments on yours yet. so...i have no other way to email you.
Hi Laney,
It is great to hear from you too! I don't have your email but mine is the same if you still have it. Let me know either way, we can figure something out!
Hi Laura,
I come back on the 7th. But will leave the same day or the 8th for SD or LA...haven't decided which one yet.
SD or LA? Why are you leaving and why do you get to decide? Sometimes I wish I had your job, but I don't think I am smart enough or brave enough. I will just have to be jealous I guess. ;)
How long will you be gone when you come back?
Hi Laura,
You would be a great ethnobotanist! You speak Spanish and in Peru that 95% of the battle! LA to visit family, SD to visit a friend who is giving her Master's defense, as well as family. :)
How are you doing?
km
Post a Comment