Thursday, July 3, 2008

Botanizing in Peru has been a great adventure! We have been working in the Trujillo and Chiclayo markets (northern Peru). Besides the crew from MBG, we have students from Berkeley and San Diego State helping us with the project.

Here is the group at breakfast before a days work in the market. Alyse, Rigo, Gabriel, Andrew and Sam.


The first week we spent in the Mayorista market in Trujillo.










This last week we spent time in Chiclayo's Mochequeque market. Just traveling to Chiclayo is an adventure by itself. We leave at 6:30 AM to catch a taxi to the bus station in Trujillo (we are staying in Huanchaco), from there it is a 3 hour bus ride to Chiclayo, collect and back to Huanchaco around 9:00 PM. We did that twice this week. A lot of hours on the bus...but as you can see from the pictures the result is...priceless!








Gabe recording the plant information from our vendors.

Julie and Elmer...they loved our money :)

Julie and Elmer's daughter...it took a lot to make
her smile. She reminded me a lot of Micheala! :)
The national dish of Peru is ceviche - raw fish
marinated in limes and chilli. When Julie found
out we had not tried it yet she brought us some
to eat before we left the market.

After we finished off the food, Andrew
entertained us by drinking the "juice".
The end of a good day! We had bags full of plants, full
of ceviche and lasting memories of our new friends.
Below, waiting for the bus to come...looking forward to
the 3 1/2 hr. ride home. :)

4 comments:

C. Meyer said...

Muy chevere, Karen!
Thanks for sending me to the Neruda poem. I need to learn that poem.

Adam said...

How did you like the ceviche?

Karen said...

The ceviche was amazing! I would eat it from the market any day! Much better than the guinea pig I had a couple of days ago. :)

Casualene, I am glad you liked the poem. He has a couple others that I really like too.

Hokie said...

Hey, it is good to see you in your work, looks fun but I am sure it makes for long days. How great you get to be there, and that you will come home soon too. :)